Cutting Your Cancer Risk

Cutting Your Cancer Risk

 

Cancer is largely preventable. The World Cancer Research Fund estimates that by eating the right diet you can cut your risk of cancer by up to 40 per cent. The European Commission estimates that a quarter of a million lives could be saved each year across the 12 member states through dietary changes alone. You can further cut your risk by eating organic whenever possible, exercising regularly, adding vitamin and mineral supplements and avoiding known carcinogens such as smoking, oestrogen replacement therapy (HRT), and eating excessive animal fats and overcooked or blackened meats.

We estimate that cancer is about 85 per cent preventable. Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine describing a study involving 45,000 pairs of twins found that cancer is more likely to be caused by diet and lifestyle choices than by genes. Identical twins, who are genetically the same, had no more than a 15 per cent chance of developing the same cancer. This suggests that the cause of most cancers is about 85 per cent environmental that is, down to factors such as diet, lifestyle and exposure to toxic chemicals. This study found that choices about diet, smoking and exercise accounted for 58 to 82 per cent of cancers studied.

So where does homocysteine come into all this? Cancer is triggered in large part by damage to DNA and having a high homocysteine level means your DNA is more vulnerable to damage, and poorly repaired once damaged. At the other end of the scale, a high level of homocysteine has been found to be a very good indicator Of whether cancer therapies are working. The homocysteine level rises when tumours grow, and falls when they shrink. Forms of cancer already clearly linked to high homocysteine include cancer of the breast and colon, and leukaemia, among others. Low homocysteine is likely to reduce Your risk of these by a third. Coupled with other diet and supplement changes, you Should be able to cut your cancer risk by more than half.
(Visited 16,383 times, 4 visits today)
Loading...